Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 1 carrot chopped fine
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces bottled clam juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 russet (baking) potato (about 1/2 pound)
- 3/4 pound halibut skin discarded, cut into l-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parley leaves
- In a heavy saucepan cook bacon over moderate heat stirring, until crisp and transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off fat and in pan cook onion, carrot, and celery in butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring 3 minutes.
- Stir in paprika and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add clam juice, water, and cream and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- While mixture is coming to a boil, peel potato and cut into 1/4 inch dice. Add potato to mixture and simmer chowder uncovered 12 minutes.
- Stir in fish and simmer until just cooked though, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, bacon, and salt and pepper.