Crowley's Curried Fish Balls
- 2 pounds fillets of halibut
- 1/2 cup sesame oil or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon Indian curry powder (mild)
- 3 onions, chopped fine
- 1 can (20 oz.) Stewed Tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup flour
- Wash fish thouroughly and remove any bones. Grind it in a food processor.
- Chop very fine.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a skillet. Add onions, garlic, lemon rind, turmeric, and curry powder.
- Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove one third of this mixture and add to ground fish.
- Stir mixture together, make sure the spices are evenly distributed through the fish.
- Form the fish mixture into walnut-size balls. Roll lightly in the flour.
- Add the remaining oil to the mixture in the skillet and heat.
- Add the fishballs and brown lightly on all sides.
- Add the tomatoes and cook over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot with broiled rice.
As a side point, we triple this recipe and put the brown fish balls into
oven to finish cooking or use a glass pan and put them into the microwave
- John and Mary Crowley, F/V Kristiana